New York Jobs
New York Disability Application
If a disability has caused you to be unable to work, or unable to work in the capacity you were once able to, you may be eligible for New York disability benefits. To determine eligibility, use the information presented in the "Determining Disability Eligibility" section.
Determining Disability Eligibility
The U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) administers disability benefits in New York and in every state in the country. Benefits administration is then handled by local New York officials. Determination of disability eligibility in New York is very specific, and the guidelines are fairly straightforward.
Among the questions you must answer in order to determine eligibility for New York disability benefits are the following:
- Are you working and, if so, do you monthly earnings fall below a certain threshold?
- Is your condition (disability) considered severe?
- Is your disability among the list of disabling conditions established by SSA?
- Are you capable of performing the work you previously engaged in?
- Are you capable of performing other type of work that your disability permits?
If you feel that you meet the requirements for New York disability benefits, you should proceed to applying online. Note that you may also apply for disability benefits in person at your local New York disability office, or via phone. SSA, however, prefers online applications and using this method will greatly speed the process of approval for benefits.